Tory Lanez found guilty on all charges in shooting of Megan Thee Stallion

ABC News

A jury in Los Angeles found rapper Tory Lanez guilty on all three charges in the shooting of Megan Thee Stallion on July 12, 2020 in the Hollywood Hills.

“The jury got it right. I am thankful there is justice for Meg,” Megan Thee Stallion’s attorney Alex Spiro told ABC News in a statement after the verdict was announced.

Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón in a statement recognized the “bravery” of Megan, pointing to some of the commentary around the case.

“You showed incredible courage and vulnerability with your testimony despite repeated and grotesque attacks that you did not deserve,” he wrote. “You faced unjust and despicable scrutiny that no woman should ever face and you have been an inspiration to others across LA County and the nation.”

ABC News has reached out to Lanez’s attorneys and a request for comment was not immediately returned. Sentencing is scheduled for Jan. 27 at 8:30 a.m. local time, according to ABC affiliate KABC-TV.

Jury deliberations began Thursday and a verdict was announced Friday afternoon.

Megan, born Megan Pete, shared her account of the incident in an emotional testimony last week and accused Lanez of shooting her following an argument.

Pete testified that on the night of July 12, 2020, she got out of a car following an argument with Lanez and as she walked away, she turned her head and saw him with a gun, according to a reporter with KABC, who was in the courtroom.

“He was holding the gun pointing at me,” she said, according to KABC, and claimed that he said “dance b****” and fired his gun, injuring both her feet.

“I froze…I felt shocked,” she said. “I wasn’t really sure if this was happening…I looked at the ground and saw the blood…everyone was shocked.”

Lanez, bornb Daystar Peterson, was initially charged in October 2020 with one felony count each of assault with a semi-automatic firearm — with the enhancement of “personal use of a firearm” linked to that count — and carrying a loaded, unregistered firearm in a vehicle, according to charging documents obtained by ABC News.

He was charged earlier this month with an additional felony count of discharging a firearm with gross negligence, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office confirmed to ABC News.

Lanez, who chose not to take the witness stand during the trial, pleaded not guilty to all three charges.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button